Annual Meeting Recap
On November 13, the VAA had its Annual Meeting. A brief recap of the events:
- Forster Davis, a MN Soccer referee for over 33 years, spoke about changes in youth sports over the past 4 decades and about the importance of parents and coaches teaching transferrable skills, and reinforcing natural skills, to our young athletes.
- The VAA’s fiscal-year ended October 31, 2012 and the Association is financially healthy. The majority of our sports operated at a break-even or positive level and those that needed to re-invest in equipment, like football, were able due to the VAA’s reserves.
- Lisa Arend was recognized as the Volunteer of the Year for her work with the Track, Baseball, and Basketball programs. Thanks, Lisa!
- Brian Owen and Will Arend were recognized as Paul Bronson Memorial Coach of the Year for Traveling and Community respectively. Their leadership in baseball and basketball really had a positive impact on VAA participants.
- Scott Goettl, past-Treasurer for VAA, was recognized with the President’s Award. Scott is a great ambassador for VAA and his fiscal management of the Association over the past 4 years is the reason for our healthy position today.
- Twenty commissioners and co-commissioners were recognized for the invaluable leadership they provide to the individual sports. Our Association does not exist without their tireless efforts – thank you.
- Kelly Erickson and Laurie DePerez completed their terms on the Board of Directors – thank you for all your time and energy!
- Peter Blattner, Kevin Britt, Disraeli Davis, Narate Keys and Brad Kragness were elected for terms to the Board of Directors. We had 11 strong, motivated candidates and welcome these five to their new positions.
The VAA’s initiatives for 2013 include a successful launch of the new website and registration system, a focus on marketing and awareness to serve as many children as possible, and developing our volunteer coaches to improve the experience of our young athletes.
We look forward to all the successes and challenges of the next year!